Grown Women May Attend Young Women's Rite of Passage May 14, 2011


Are you an adult woman who never had your first menstruation honored during girlhood? Do you have a need for emotional healing around womb issues? The May 14, 2011 Maiden Rite of Passage Ceremony is not only open to young girls, but also adult women who wish to honor their transition into womanhood, albeit later in life.

My girlhood experience of menarche was a positive one, supported by my loving and amazing mother. Like most American girls, I did not have it marked by a community-supported Rite of Passage. It was more of a footnote on the way to junior high. However, as an adult, I finally honored that transition in a more formal way.  I went through a Maiden Ceremony alongside 6th graders and gray-haired old grandmothers, all of us young girls on that day. I was amazed that I was still processing the ceremony for an entire year later. I found that it sprung forth in me a well of issues about my sexuality, independence from my parents, and future pregnancies. I had a much greater appreciation for my role in society as a strong rock of collective female knowledge, as well as a giver of life and creativity. It was an incredibly moving experience for me and I am thrilled to have a chance to pass some part of that on, on May 14th, 2011.

If you are a girl or woman who would like to celebrate the transition from girlhood into maidenhood, please e-mail womensritesky@gmail.com or call Jen at (502) 432-6324.

No comments:

Post a Comment